112 Of The Chibok Girls Still Missing

This Wednesday marks seven years since Boko Haram kidnapped a hundred girls in Nigeria from a school in the northern Nigerian city ​​of Chibok . Over the days, this figure increased until it was known that there were 272 ‘ Chibok girls’ , as they are known, kidnapped by a hundred Islamist terrorists from Boko Haram .

In subsequent years, the terrorist group shared various videos in which the girls, mostly Christian, could be seen wearing dark veils to show that they were still alive.. In these images, several relatives were able to identify their daughters, although, in some cases, they were already corpses.

Her disappearance sparked a global movement under the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls calling for the release of girls between the ages of 12 and 17 . Despite the fact that many girls have been released during these seven years, even today, the platform claims that 112 of the young women are still unaccounted for .

“Today is full of extreme sadness when remembering the daughters who went to school in search of knowledge only to lose their lives and freedoms,” said this Wednesday who started the movement to fight for the return of the girls to their homes, Oby Ezekwesili .

In 2014, Boko Haram released a video showing the missing girls, claiming that they had been converted and would not be released until all the imprisoned militants were released.

Rapes, sales, and forced marriages
The girls who over the years have managed to escape or be freed have recounted how the terrorists raped them , sold them , forced them to marry or have children . Many of them have experienced significant trauma and suffering and some have died , as reported by their relatives, who demand responses and real actions from the Government to ensure that the young women can return.

“The social contract between a people and its Government was brutally destroyed with the failureof the Chibok Girls and their parents, “Ezekwesili said on social media.

“We can not say that we have defeated Boko Haram without rescuing girls from Chibok and all other innocent people held hostage by insurgents , ” he announced the Nigerian president , Muhammadu Buhari at his inauguration in 2015 .

However, even though they have not yet recovered all the girls, the Government has stated on numerous occasions that the terrorist group has been defeated . These statements have made family members feel that the authorities have abandoned their daughters.

Since this abduction, kidnappings in schools have been a constant in the north of the country . In the last four months there have been up to five mass kidnappings in different schools in the north of the country, as Amnesty International denounces . With these kidnappings, the terrorists intend to demonstrate to the Government the power they have obtained over the years, as indicated by the Africa News media .

International organizations
Amnesty has also denounced that tens of thousands of Nigerian children are unable to access the education they need because “the authorities continue to fail to protect schools , especially in the north of the country, from attacks by insurgents and other armed groups.”

In addition, the organization denounces that 600 centers are still closed and that the actions carried out by the Government to prevent these kidnappings ” are not working .” UNICEF goes further and says that the fear of abductions further hinders the education of Nigerian children and that about 10.5 million children between 5 and 14 years arewithout schooling in the country.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *